Friday, December 01, 2006

Review: Palm Treo 650 Smart Phone

I've put off on reviewing this for a while as this device left a bad taste in my mouth - but I thought I better write something before they are discontinued!



The Palm Treo 650 Smart Phone (mine is GSM) has some of the following specifications:

  • Palm OS v5.4

  • Intel™ PXA270 312 MHz processor

  • 22 MB user-available memory

  • 11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm in size

  • 178 grams in weight

  • 320 x 320 resolution with 16 bit colour

  • Colour TFT touch-screen

  • Supports SD, SDIO and MultiMediaCards

  • 0.3 megapixel digital camera at 640x480 and 2x zoom

  • bluetooth

  • other odds and ends



This is the first smart phone that I've used, coming from my much beloved Motorola Razr V3. I found, caring around my Razr as well as my Palm Tungsten T5 was cumbersome, at least with regards to the numbers of devices I carried (consider that I always have a laptop and numerous peripherals as well).

As a phone, the Treo 650 is adequate. Using a bluetooth headset eased the pain of using the device directly. The call logs were limiting. The dialer was good. The contacts were too difficult to navigate (I must have over a 1000, organized by category of course). Using it to send a text message was the only positive thing about this phone.

As a PDA this device was below average. The memory is wholly inadequate (I purchased a 2 GB SD card). The screen size too small for reading eBooks. Some of the frequently used functionality from my Tungsten T5 was missing. With the keyboard on the device, it was missing the virtual keyboard and handwriting (which I prefer to use).

Overall I dislike the Treo 650 and will be tossing it to one of my Network Administrators as soon as I can. In fact, with Palm moving to Windows Mobile I shall not be using another Palm in the foreseeable future. It is cumbersome in size and weight and thus have been forced to realize that a good PDA and separate phone is not such a bad thing.

No comments: